Creamy Polenta with Savoury Mince
- Spray oil for cooking
- 200g lean mince beef
- 1 tbsp finely chopped onion
- ½ cup (40g) finely chopped mushrooms
- 1½ tsp cornflour
- ½ cup (125mL) chicken stock or water
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup (60g) frozen peas
- ¼ cup (60mL) water
- 1/3 cup (80mL) milk
- 1 tbsp polenta
- 1 tbsp finely grated cheese
How to make
- Heat a small frying pan over medium heat; spray with oil, add beef, onion and mushrooms; cook until beef is cooked through and onion is tender; dissolve cornflour in ¼ cup (60mL) chicken stock or water; add remaining stock or water and pour into beef with tomato paste and peas; bring to the boil; simmer until thick and creamy and peas are tender. For younger babies, simply place in a food processor, and process to required consistency, adding boiled water if necessary.
- Place water, milk and polenta in a small saucepan over medium heat; bring to the boil, stirring constantly; cook 6 minutes or until thick and creamy; remove from heat, add cheese, stirring until it melts.
Savoury Mince makes 3 serves. Extra serves can be placed into freezer proof containers and frozen for up to 1 month.
Creamy Polenta serves one; it’s better to make it fresh each time it’s needed, as polenta thickens substantially in the fridge and is hard to reheat to a creamy consistency.